When the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) released the list of the potential new generic top level domains (gTLDs), it seemed that .app was the one to watch: no less than 13 organisations applied to manage the domain. But .africa is also causing some trouble, as the two organisations that applied for the domain battle it out.The group that manages South Africa’s .co.za ...
Luxembourg, June 10th 2010 – To celebrate the start of the Football World Cup in South Africa, we are happy to announce a promotional campaign on any CO.ZA domain names registered from today until the end of the summer. Get your CO.ZA for only 8 Euro, using the promocode WC2010, valid until July 15th 2010.
As we approach the World Cup in South Africa this June it's heartening to see the amount of attention being paid to the continent.
JOHOR BARU: As football fans around the world await the 2010 Fifa World Cup finals in South Africa in June, bookies here are already making preparations to rake in hundreds of millions of ringgit from punters.
Anne-Rachel Inne, Africa's regional liaison ICANN was interviewed during the Highway Africa conference in South Africa by Computerworld Kenya. Inne says there are so few African countries participating in ICANN activities because "people don't have the means to go to international meetings", however this problem is not unique to Africa. It's a problem of all African countries.
South Africa accounts for around 60 per cent of all domain name registrations on the African continent, while the remaining 50 or so countries account for the remaining 40 per cent, according to a Biz Community report.